Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Training 1

As a way to give and receive immediate - or close to immediate - feedback on the BCNC partnership with Cultural Agents, I'm starting this blog up. I'll post some thoughts after each training or work session or whatever, and people can offer their feedback in the comments section.

It would be great if we manage to be fairly active in this forum because I think having recorded comments is helpful for us in the planning as we look back as well as for Cultural Agents to have for future grant-writing and for their own edification. And I hope that we as a team can break down and process what we experience together, and since we can't always do that face-to-face, maybe here works.

If anyone ever has stuff to post that should be its own separate entry, then please let me know and I'll put it right up. Or, can I add another contributor to this blog? I dont' know anything...

So my reflects are as follows:

April 14, 2009 / Training 1
I'll admit I thought the first part when we were in the Board Room was kind of boring - and that's mostly my fault - but BCNC didn't ahve a room available for us to use at that time! Once we moved to the bigger space, everything was better.

What I liked best was that literally everything we did in this session could have been done with any age that was old enough to read. Everything was laid out as a list of tasks, yet in getting from one task to the next, we had to actually to be processing things at a pretty high level.

The big surprise for me was also that we had spent so much time trying to get our schedules in order to make sure everybody could be at every training, it had become a chore, like in the back of my mind, I was thinking "why do we need 5 trainings? It's hard enough to get everyone together for one!" But then Doris shared that the onus for planning the trainings was actually on us - the attendees - and it became such a different feeling. Instead of it being a chore, it became a privilege. Now we have a chance to share the things we love with each other. And really, all of us who have commited to leading a part of a session are going to be facilitating around passion, not just instructions.

What do you all think?


No comments:

Post a Comment